Tamiya 1/35 US Self-Propelled 155mm M40 Gun
This is an assembly model of the U.S. Self-Propelled 155mm M40. It is a never before seen subject in the Tamiya line-up of 1/35 scale models. The kit uses all new tooling with the exception of the suspension parts as they are from the M4A3E8 Sherman "Easy Eight" model kit. The M40 was a significant step in U.S. Army artillery mechanization, pairing the M1 155mm gun with the proven M4 Sherman chassis. Armor was light given its intended use as a long range weapon (they were effective up to 23.5km) away from the front line, while the layout was changed from the M4 to allow a big fighting compartment at the rear to accommodate the big gun. It was fitted with smooth horizontal volute spring suspension (HVSS). Over 400 were produced before the end of WWII; although they never fought in the conflict, one example of their T83 prototype did. The M40 served in the Korean War, and was eventually replaced by the M53.
- Realistic surface textures include cast differential cover and hull side steel plate.
- The big 155mm gun is recreated with exquisite detail: where possible, the construction method of the actual weapon is copied. Depictions of hydraulic dampers include metal outer tubes for a super-realistic finish.
- The rear gate can be assembled up or down (when the gun was fired it was usually down, and the crew on it or outside). Individual pulley parts are included.
- HVSS is succinctly and accurately reproduced, and combined with effective, hassle free belt type tracks.
- A range of accessories include separate shell and propelling charge depictions.
- Includes photo-etched parts to recreate engine grilles.
- Comes with 8 figures, and 2 marking options recreating Korean War 937th Field Artillery Battalion M40s.